County Kildare LEADER Partnership are running a FREE course called “Freshwater Ecosystems: A Taster Course for Communities”. It is being offered in three locations around the county (Athy, Monasterevin and Robertstown) and it is being delivered by JBA Consulting.
There are six sessions in total. The second session in each location coincides with Biodiversity Week.
People are welcome to attend just the sessions that coincide with Biodiversity Week, or to sign up for the full course which will run through May, June, and July. We encourage people to come along for the whole course to get the most out of it. However, the content that is covered in the sessions that coincide with Biodiversity Week is as follows:
River systems, water quality and impacts
- The Water Cycle – Sources of freshwater.
- Introduction to water quality, the work of The Local Authority Waters Programme(LAWPRO), the Water Framework Directive and the River Basin Management Plan.
- Biotic indicators of freshwater quality e.g., river flies.
- Pressures impacting water quality.
- Addressing pressures on water quality – getting the right measures in the right place.
- An outline of examples of work carried out regionally in Ireland and elsewhere in Europe that focus on water resources.
Full information about the training is available on our website: https://www.countykildarelp.ie/leader-call-for-participants-freshwater-ecosystems-a-taster-course-for-communities/
We ask people to register in advance so that we know how many people to expect. Registrations can be made using this link: https://tinyurl.com/2p8hv62t